1. CUT OFF ALL POWER
It may be an obvious pointer but when you are planning to do anything electrical to your home, turn all power off! There have been many instances when people are doing DIY’s and they have been electrocuted mildly and severely.
2. EXTENTION CORDS CAN BE DANGEROUS
Extension cords can be good for a temporary fix however, if they are used for long periods of time they can cause great damage! When you are finding yourself relying on extension cords it is time to seek an electrician for more power points. It is also important to not OVERLOAD the extension cords.
3. NOTICING HOT/ WARM POWER OUTLETS
This is a major problem if you are noticing any power outlets are warm. The best thing to do is to turn the switch off and remove any cords that are in the outlet. If left it can cause electric shocks or fire.
4. CHILD PROOFING YOUR OUTLETS
If you have young curious children they may have the urge to put objects into the outlet holes. A quick handy tip is to use electrical tape to cover the unused power outlets.
5. BUY HIGH QUALITY!
Lots of people result to eBay to buy a new charger or car adapter am i right? However, many of these appliances can often be very faulty which can lead to fires or shock. Buying good quality products is going to assure that you are getting the most out of them and also preventing possible damage.
6. IF YOU EVER ENCOUNTER AN ELECTRICAL FIRE
Never EVER try to put the electrical fire out with water. In the spare of the moment it may seem like the best option but it will only make it worse! Water conducts electricity therefore making the fire worse. Always use an extinguisher!
7. LIGHTS THAT FLICKER OR TRIP CIRCUIT BREAKER
This is your houses way of saying, there is something seriously wrong and it needs to be fixed. The problem may be loose wiring which will require an electrician to cut the power to the house, inspect and repair the problem.
8. UNPLUGING APPLIANCES
When appliances are not in use they still are conducting electricity. This can help prevent fires from power surges. REMEMBER: always turn the switch off before removing a cord.
9. KNOW WHEN ITS TIME FOR AN ELECTRICIAN
These days it can be tempting to consult google for a cheap fix for an electrical problem, unfortunately this can lead to short term or long time problems for your appliances and your home! An electrician will know the source of the problem straight away and be able to put a stop to the same issue in the future.