By Tibor Koltay (Auth.)
Regardless of their altering function, abstracts stay invaluable within the electronic global. hugely important to info execs and researchers who paintings and submit in numerous fields, this ebook summarizes an important and up to date thought of abstracting, in addition to giving recommendation and examples for the perform of writing other kinds of abstracts. The e-book discusses the size, the features and easy constitution of abstracts, outlining a brand new method of informative and indicative abstracts. The abstractors' character, their linguistic and non-linguistic wisdom and talents also are mentioned with unique attention.
- Despite the particularly huge variety of textbooks at the subject there's no up to date publication on abstracting within the English language
- In addition to offering a entire assurance of the subject, the proposed ebook includes novel perspectives - in particular on informative and indicative abstracts
- The dialogue is predicated on an interdisciplinary technique, mixing the tools of library and knowledge technological know-how and linguistics
Read or Download Abstracts and Abstracting. A Genre and Set of Skills for the Twenty-First Century PDF
Best skills books
Excelent publication! A needs to learn for any accounting student.
I merely received the 1st 4 chapters, that are the most chapters of the publication.
* This booklet is meant to satisfy the necessity for a well-known, largely established ebook on carrier administration. * The managers' consultant offers a simple advent on how provider administration most sensible practices and criteria may help a merchant to convey providers that upload worth for patrons on the correct rate and danger.
- Mathematics in Finance: UIMP-RSME Lluis A. Santalo Summer School, Mathematics in Finanace and Insurance, July 16-20, 2007, Universidad Internacional ... Pelayo, Santande
- 101 Ways to Make Every Second Count: Time Management Tips and Techniques for More Success with Less Stress
- Body Language Secrets to Win More Negotiations: How to Read Any Opponent and Get What You Want
- Nonlinear Models for Economic Decision Processes
- Outdoor Life: Hunting & Gathering Survival Manual: 221 Primitive & Wilderness Survival Skills
- Glaziers: Stories From People Who've Done It: With information on working conditions, expected earnings and more (Careers 101 Kindle Book Series)
Extra info for Abstracts and Abstracting. A Genre and Set of Skills for the Twenty-First Century
It contains those elements that have not been mentioned prior to that point in the text and are not recoverable from the extra-linguistic context. We can also say that the theme states what the writer is going to talk about in that sentence while the rheme expresses what they intend to say about it (Hutchins, 1977; Nwogu, 1995). One source – different abstracts Abstracts are domain-dependent in the sense that their sources are domain-dependent themselves, that is they reflect scholarly content of different disciplines.
Nevertheless, if editors write abstracts, they are acting as professional abstractors. What knowledge do abstractors need to have? What are the abilities, skills and attitudes they need? We will discuss this thoroughly in Chapter 4 which is dedicated to abstractors and their competencies. The importance of author abstracts and the problems related to them will also be discussed in Chapter 4. Although we have already touched upon their nature, it is necessary, to define them briefly here. An author abstract is an abstract produced by the same author who produced the primary (original) text.
They present much more information about the content of the original than bibliographic data, keywords and index terms (Cleveland and Cleveland, 1990; Cremmins, 1982; Rowley, 1988). Carraway (2007: 412) expresses this as follows: When conducting a literature search, researchers may read abstracts of perhaps 100s of papers in which the titles possibly have a bearing on an aspect of their work. Only if the content of the abstract seems relevant will researchers progress to reading the article from which the abstract was derived.
Abstracts and Abstracting. A Genre and Set of Skills for the Twenty-First Century by Tibor Koltay (Auth.)